Monday, September 15, 2008

Solving Stress the WM Way

It seems to me that a blog about life at the College of William and Mary (hereafter just "the College") should start off with a calming note. The rigors of higher education can be a stressful thing. Add on social expectations, occasional residence hall drama, and the highs a 'woes' of college romances and you get a steaming pile of stress right at your feet. Where can a student go to unwind?

I know that when I feel really stressed out I tend to bury myself in work and make things a lot worse. It's just who I am, I can't handle relaxation very well when I have a lot going on. I'm getting better at taking some time for myself- sometimes going out on thirsty thursdays, watching trashy tv with friends (Gossip Girl truly has some kind of stress-relieving properties), and listening to music and dancing around with my roommate when I know I have reading to do.

When you think about it, it really depends on the student. Maybe you're that student who takes a walk or run through Colonial Williamsburg when things get rough? Do you go to the gym when things start to crumble beneath you and that paper you forgot about is due tomorrow morning? Maybe you watch 'Lost', or 'Grey's', or 'House', or whatever people are addicted to these days. 

When it comes down to it, if you need to unwind, I've found that the college has a lot to offer (aside from free cable). A gorgeous campus that calms the nerves, organizations like Massage Club, and a couple thousand people who feel just as stressed as you do.

And if those aren't comforting thoughts, well.... there's always Quiznos!

1 comment:

Togsy said...

I <3 the Verve.

-Haleioscopy